thoughts from my first car show

I took a drive to my first non-Delorean car show and I wanted to share my
experiencesâ.The car show was in Ocean City, MD. A very popular beach resort on
the Atlantic Ocean here in MD. They often have events during the off seasonto
attract off peak visitors. This past weekend they had their annual fall show
and there were cars from 1920s all the way up to a new Chrysler Crossfire.

Here are my observations:

I was the only Delorean there which is different then the usual events I have
attended. What made that nice is that you were not really comparing your car
with (and jealous of :-) other Deloreanâs. There were about 1500 cars in all
and it was very crowded. Had it not been raining it would have been even
bigger.

Once I put my doors up the car got more attention than I ever imagined. At
any given time there were about 15 people around the car. I think at one point
it hit 30. When I took a break and walked around I could see my wife taking
questions like a press secretary at the white house.

I was near then end of a row and after about 2 hours of constant crowds at my
car the owner of a high performance Camaro with a nitros (sp) bottle in the
trunk, got tired of seeing everyone stop at my car and moved his car to another
part of the lot. What I found is that although a lot of these car are faster,
more colorful and have more collectors, the Delorean has the one thing these
cars do notâuniqueness and gull wing doors.

The questions were the normal âwhere do you get parts?â andâhow much do
they cost?â questions. People are still shocked by how âinexpensiveâ these cars
are. I really enjoyed talking to the 100s of people asked some really good
questions. I let some people get in the car and see what it felt like. Several
kids got there pictures taken by happy mom's.

I did not realize that the PT cruiser had such a big followingâat least 20 of
them all painted in far out colors.

There were two shelby 457 kit cars that were beautiful.

I was treated with total respect and no drug jokes or rediculous
accusations...about 5 older men accurately knew the whole history and told me they had
never seen one in person and I made their year. A lot of them acknowledged the
guts it took to take on the âestablishmentâ.

I had several people who told me they were lifelong mechanics and we talked
about the Delorean engine. They told me that back in the 70s and 80s it was
difficult to get Volvoâs to idle smoothly. One mechanic who ran a service area
told me he had people that would bring in new Volvos after 6 months and askhim
if he could âsmooth out the idle.â
I told him a lot of owners spend time and money trying to get this car to
idle perfectly and have a difficult time.

We owe a lot more to the movie then a lot of owners will admitâA lot of moms
were grabbing their kids saying it was the âBack to the future car.â Since I
have a flux capicitor it made it even more like the movie for them. Even some
of the younger kids that were 8-10 years old had seen the movie and knew the
carâ.If Travis had his conversion car there he would have had to beat people
off with a stick.

If you are ever feeling run down with owning this car because of repairs or
cost,or start doubting why you got one in the first place, go to a well
advertised car show in your area. I felt totally recharged and met a lot ofgreat
people who thanked me for bringing the car to the show.

By the wayâ.I drove about 300 miles round trip with no problems. Sofar it
has been over a year and half since my last problemâknock on stainless. I would
guess in all about 50 people took pictures and about 10 videotaped. My wife,
who was never a big fan of the car, enjoyed herself and had a lot of fun
meeting everyone.

Mike Cohee
2109