From: Soma576@xxxx [mailto:Soma576@xxxx]
Sent: Monday, October 13, 2003 8:34 PM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [DML] Replacing the Fuel Accumulator

In a message dated 10/13/03 9:23:40 PM Central Daylight Time,
deloreanss@xxxx writes:

> I am about to go through the process of replacing my fuel accumulator,
> which
> has been the source or many hot non-starts. The thing I am worried about
is
> that it seems too easy (deceptively so?). Is there any trick to this? I
have

> searched the shop manual over to find out if it is pressurized or not. I
> assume
> it is. I am afraid I am going to get a face full of gasoline when I yank
> this
> thing. Any tips?
>
> Thanks,
> John Weaver
> ETDOC
> RED DMC #10527

Well, you could relieve fuel pressure by first not using the car for a day
before you do this job and also by loosening a hose on say, the fuel
distributor's lower chamber such as the input line. this should relieve as
much pressure
as possible but it will still be full of gas.

if you remove your ash tray you can see if you can get thru the access hole
inside the car to hold the lines as you loosen them. i have not done this
job
before but i understand that the lines if very old and rusty will easily
bend,
causing you more problems. i would recommend using lots of PB Blaster and
buying some flare-nut wrenches in the proper size.

Andy

moderators@xxxx

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews