Idle Switch etc.

Andy,

With the ignition on and the engine not running the voltage at the idle
microswitch, with the switch open, (ie not at idle) should be very close to the
battery voltage. When you make this measurement you are actually measuring the
voltage that "is being passed" through the vacuum solenoid and the Idle ECU via
the diode. Also measure the voltage at the number 1 fuse, with the fuse in
place. It should be close to the battery voltage as I mentioned. If it is not,
disconnect one end of the diode, (to eliminate that factor) and measure again.
If it is now close to the battery voltage, I'd say the diode may be bad
because it should actually isolate anything the ECU is doing to the measurement.
If it is still low, then disconnect the capacitor. If it now goes up to the
battery voltage then the problem was in the capacitor or its wiring. Now with
the diode and capacitor disconnected, if you still have low voltage there then
I would say that the problem is in the vacuum solenoid or its wiring. I just
measured the resistance of my vacuum solenoid and it was about 24 ohms. Also
there was no continuity between the connections on the solenoid and the case
of the solenoid. Check these things and let us know.

Hope to see you all at the Fall Tour.

Dave & 6530