Re: [DML] Ground Testing of the Idle Speed Micro Switch

Re: [DML] Ground Testing of the Idle Speed Micro Switch

In a message dated 10/12/03 10:03:40 AM Central Daylight Time,
doctorDHD@xxxx writes:

> With the
> ignition switch ON but the engine not running (for safety) you should
> measure
> 0 volts at throttle closed, ie idle and about 12 volts when the throttle is
> opened and the switch opens. You should also be able to hear the vacuum
> solenoid click, ie switch when you open the throttle. Unplugging the vacuum
> solenoid
> allows you to check the switch using the continuity method because it
> isolated the switch from those other circuits. Let me know.

List,

i have checked voltage across my idle speed switch and i only get about 7.8
volts when the car is at idle, and zero when the throttle is open. surely this
is not enough juice to make the solenoid work? i also checked voltage at the
pin giving power to the black/green wire (pin 8) on the idle speed ECU - it
only reads about 8 volts. the pin that gives power to the ECU reads 11.9
volts. it seems as though somewhere i am losing juice inside the idle ECU. it
should also be of note that when the car is in the ON position, my idle speed
motor hums. perhaps there is a link between the two? or is my idle ECU fried?

Andy