Re: Tuning, tuning and more tuning.

Setting the knob on the different scales only changes the range. On
whatever scale you set the meter it should pulse up and down when the
Lambda is in closed loop. Try to adjust the mixture screw for the
widest range. Too wide and it will stop pulsing so back off a little
from the widest setting. This is only close to where you should be. To
adjust it corrctly you really do need an exhaust gas analyzer but with
this method at least you will be close. The mixture screw is VERY
sensitive so make small adjustments and you MUST plug the hole above
it and wait till the motor settles down before reading the meter.
Before attempting this adjustment EVERYTHING MUST be working as good
as you can make it. That is clean, regapped spark plugs, no vacuum
leaks, timming set, clean air filter, good O2 sensor, no exhaust
leaks, clean fuel injectors, working idle motor system, etc. The meter
should have no effect on the motor, it should only give you a reading.
If connecting and disconnecting the meter or using different scales
affects the motor then you will have to use a different meter. This is
supposed to be the LAST thing you do on the motor after everything
else is set up and working correctly. Anything you do after this can
affect this setting. When finished be sure to plug the hole above the
mixture screw properly.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757