Re: [DML] Jerky transmission (?) problem

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ed Garbade" <edgarbade@xxxx> wrote:
> Could this be a breakdown in the electrical system (possibly coil or
> alternator) causing misfires?
>
> Ed
> 10541
<SNIP>

Off hand, I wouldn't think so, since the car has no difficulty revving
when in neutral. Other than a loose wire making a poor connection, or
an ignition wire with poor sheilding touching somthing as the inertial
force moved the wire when the car accelerated, and caused it to ground
it's voltage (never heard of it, but sounds feasable), I really
couldn't think of anything else electrical causing this. The
split/disconnected pickup hose theory sounds like the most logical, if
not common reason for this problem. I too have had it before, and the
symptoms given so far sound exactly like it. But even so, more info is
needed to truly pinpoint the issue.

There are variables such as how deep the fuel pump is mounted, and
then, assuming that a tear, is where exactly the tear on the hose is.
But typicly, everyone who's ever had this problem starts to see it
when the fuel tank reaches the half-way point, and durring hard right
turns.

The other variable here is the rate of acelleration. What one
consideres 'normal' can vary from person to person, and from region to
region. Although, acellerating up an incline would definately make the
problem of a torn/disconnected fuel hose worse, since the fuel pump is
at the front of the tank, and the fuel flows twards the rear. And of
course from a dead stop when you've got to hit the gas for even harder
acceleration to overcome gravity pulling the car backwards.

It's possible it could be tranny mounts, but I would imagine that
there would have been a bit of noticeable banging noises echoing thru
the chassis' backbone accompanying the car's jerking movement.

The clutch *could* be a possability, but still an extreme one at this
point. If there was some sort of a failure in the hydraulic system,
that could indeed cause some sort of premature wear. My record for
toasting a new clutch has been almost 3K miles when the Clutch M/C
failed. But I'm sure if this were the case, there would have already
been some sort of chattering noise (if not grinding), and these
symptoms would have slowly appeared, rather than just suddenly like
this. Where as symptoms like this could suddenly appear if the pickup
hose on the fuel pump were to suddenly come loose, or tear.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"