Re: [DML] Re: Engine Mods

Jim,

In Idaho we have two formulatons readily available. Mostly water and mostly alcohol. I don't remember the exact ratios off hand as I am in Calif. right now, but the higher alcohol offering (more expensive and rated for lower temperature resistance to freezing) provides both evaporative cooling and hydrocarbons to add to the fuel load. It really works well. In Florida I would doubt the higher alcohol formulation is available as you don't need protection down to -40 degrees F. If I inject water only I get the dreaded 'lean on full boost' problem. With water only I stop firing at about 4# boost. It just goes "flat". In Calif. I have to buy Alcohol at Ace Hardware and spike the brew.

I monitor the intake manifold actual temperature and the harder I run the car the cooler it gets. Cooler means denser charge. It really cuts down on detonation as the higher octane rating of the alcohol combined with the water (steam engine effect?) and the evaporative cooling of the induction charge allows for higher boost with safety. Now if only I had ported heads and free flow manifolds! Probably will never catch a 'three rotor' but still fun to drive.

Don E
(Two turbo DeLoreans plumbed this way)

Jim Strickland wrote:

Since when is windshield washer fluid "fuel"???

I was talking to an authorized Bosch mechanic with regard to my solution to
the 'lean at boost' problem. What I do is inject windshield washer fluid in
liberal amounts onto the turbo impeller whenever I am in positive boost. It
cools the intake tract as well as adding fuel to the fire. As well as it
works it would be nice to not need it.

Thanks,
Don Ekhoff

moderators@xxxx