[DML] Re: Engine Swap-Out (Rice Burners)

[DML] Re: Engine Swap-Out (Rice Burners)

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount@xxxx>
wrote:
<SNIP>
> I don't see how the rover v8 is the most logical engine
replacement.
> Considering that the Delorean has English electrics and suspension,
> german fuel injection, italian design, french/swedish engine, built
in
> Ireland with an American Founder, I think the most logical engine is
> Japanese.

I'm not basing the engine choice on any type of "herritage", or
anything like that. Imposing that kind of a restriction to either
keep heritage, or to purposfuly be diverse is actually counter
productive to the cause at hand.

I'm basing the choice on the fact that it's a commonly used motor in
Europe for aftermarket engine swaps, and kit car building. Most
notably, the Rover V8 is usually bolted up to the same Renault UN1
transaxle that the DeLorean uses. So when it comes to tuning the
engine, troubleshooting issues with the drivetrain (read: input
shaft), and even unique/custom installations, a great deal of the
footwork has already been done for the entire drive train, and not
just the motor.

Japanese motors are fine, and they do indeed have their place in the
automotive world. But they are not somthing that I would consider for
an engine swap, or custom kit car. If I were going to need a I-4
powerplant, I'd simply stick with a Volvo. Don't get me wrong,
compact cars are nice. When fuel economy, and close city driving is
concerned, I like compacts (although I am more partial to Korean
cars, as opposed to Japanese). They are efficient, practical, and
entirely foriegn to me. Sure they can be tuned, but why put all the
extra effort into a 4-6 cylinder motor that offers virtually no after
market support for custom installations both physicly, and for engine
management (convert from OBD-II to some custom engine management
system), and have helluva high costs when it comes to pricing out
blocks and components (I prefer old fashioned type wrenching, and
still visit the junkyards when looking for parts)? No thanks. Raw
power and final output, balanced with installation compatability and
cost are more important factors to me in a project like this, rather
than achiving some ideal power=>displacement ratio.

While I was never that deep into it as many people in sport compact
cars are now. I have been thru that "ricer" phase, and have realized
just how damn goofy both my car looked, and how I did for doing that
stupid stuff to it (wheel covers, amber foglights, neon license plate
frame, fake cell phone antenna, steering wheel cover, windshield
vinyl stickers, etc...). Now I know how my father felt when looking
back on those checked pants, and leisure suits he wore back in the
70's...

So yes, I've been there, and done that. So I can criticise.
Fortunetly, my DeLorean somewhat "saved" me. When it came time to
start "modifying" the exhaust, and the cold air intakes, I compared
prices, and thought of saving my cash to buy a D sooner. Needless to
say, the DeLorean won out.

So yes, I have respect for true tuners. The guys who truly do put
their wrenches where their mouths are, and crease some true hell on
wheels import dragsters. But dudes who simply stop at stickers and
colored wiring harness sheaths? No, love there. Taking inspriation
from the office "demotivational posters", my feelings can easily be
summed up: "Incompetence: When You Earnestly Believe You Can
Compensate For A Lack Of Skill By Doubling Your Efforts, There's No
End To What You Can't Do."

No everyone is able to turn their Hondas into bad ass drag racers.
And there isn't anything wrong with that. But atleast stop pretending
that your car is somthing it isn't since it still has a stock motor.
-Robert
vin 6585 "X"