Re: hard starting when cold?

The usual culprit causing your symptom is the feed to increase volts
from the ignition resistor when starting. There is a relay mounted
in the engine compartment on the firewall by the resistor. That
relay is activated by the starter solenoid and feeds battery voltage
to the split side of the resistor to provide increased volts to the
coil during the start phase. Dirty connections and poor relay
continuity can cause the volts to be too low. Put in a new relay and
clean the connections. Clean the connections on the resistor too.
Test the circuit to be sure it is working properly. You may have to
clean the connection down by the starter too - it is a blue/yellow
wire connection. It should now start like it was never turned off.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Soma576@xxxx wrote:
> List,
>
> I am getting very close to having my car tuned as well as it will
ever be.
> Now it is doing GREAT when idling, starts immediately when warm,
in fact it is
> ALMOST perfect...
>
> the only 'problem' i have is that when the car is stone cold in
the morning
> (50 deg F), it seems to take a little too long to start the motor
when
> cranking. here is my procedure:
>
> 1. put the key in ignition
> 2. don't touch the gas at all, just push in the clutch
> 3. begin cranking.
> 4. cranks for about 4 sec or so, starts to fire, then within 1/2 a
second it
> is running
>
> does it normally take this long for the car to start when cold?
> i checked all my fuel pressures and rest, primary, and control
pressures are
> all within specs. if this isn't right, where else should i look?
if you have