got my idle and advance solved!

List,

thanks for the info on getting my car to settle down. here is everything i
wound up having to correct to get it running right:

1. switch two vacuum hoses which were somehow routed wrong (how i missed that
i will never know)

2. recrimp connectors to the back of the idle speed switch. one was loose and
not making a good connection all the time. this made my advance solenoid get
a ground and now it energizes all the time and cuts off vacuum to the
distributor advance when hot.

3. since the advance was always F'd up, i had to reset base timing. it was
retarded 5 degrees.

4. had to remove both stop screws on the throttle and reset. turns out
throttle plates were cracked a little at idle and causing too much air to enter
when the idle motor was running as well.

so as you can see, as is typical with these cars, i was suffering from a
number of problems all at once. now that i tackled each one, one at a time, my
car runs WAY smoother, my exhaust smells normal, i bet my gas milage will go way
up now that my vacuum advance works right!!!!

Thanks List,
Andy