Re: DeLorean model name...and other registration info

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Stian Birkeland" <delorean@xxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
> What is the correct model name for the DeLorean?
>
> I have found 2 variations:
>
> * DeLorean DMC-12
> * DeLorean LK Sport Coupé
> (what the heck does LK stand for?)
>
> My registration document states:
>
> DeLorean DMC-12 / 2.8i V6
>
> Does any of you have another model name stated in your registration
document?
<SNIP>

The correct model designation is indeed, "DMC-12". I have no clue as
to what "LK Sport Coupé" means, but I do know it's origin. When
Harrah's Auto Collection in Reno, NV acquired their Gold Amex car (2nd
built, 5-speed "Saddle" interior), the paperwork that came with it
designated it as a "LK Sport Coupé", and NOT a DMC-12. Why, I've no
clue, but from what I heard, the museum curator swears up and down
that's what the paperwork from the previous owner had printed on it.

Fast forward many years. Sunstar decided to release the 3 DeLorean
models based upon a regular DMC-12 (not stock, as can been seen by
that CD player & Self-Bleeder kit on the model), a BTTF2 conversion
for USH Theme park, and an Amex car, based upon the one in Reno, NV.
This is where the "LK Sport Coupé" title comes from. And if anyone
ever gets the chance to visit the museum, you'll see "LK Sport Coupé"
printed as the modem type right on the plaque in front of the car, and
assuming they STILL haven't dusted the car, my handprint on the
driver's fender (karma caught up to me with a vengance on that one!).
Which you can see for yourself with the following links:

http://www.automuseum.org/1981delorean.html
http://www.isd.net/jpatrick/delorean/pics/gold15.jpg