Re: [DML] Re: Tires

And you would be wrong. Age does deteriorate tires.
The rubber compounds outgas from the moment they
are released from the mold. You can vacuum pack
a fresh tire, stuff it in a barrel, stuff the
barrel in a climate controlled room, turn out
the lights and lock the door and after 10 years
the tire is still junk. The tread will harden,
the sidewalls will stiffen, and the tire will
lose grip and stability. All those sprays do
NOTHING to preserve a tire because they can't
stop the chemistry. If they did, you would have
to coat the whole tire inside and out, not just
the part you can see.

If you just want something to hold the car up
and look pretty, go ahead and spray up your old
tires. If you want to experience the car as the
designers intended, you need new tires.

--
Mike