Re: idea for the group

There are a lot of posts on no start, hard start, rough idle, high
idle, hot start, dying after running, etc. It is all over the place
and not logically laid out like a flow chart except for the flow chart
on the ignition system. It WOULD be nice to have a fault tree created
especially for the new owner who wants to get his car running right.
Unfortunatly it is a BIG job. Much of this was learned from painful
experience or the experience of others. In many cases it is just a
matter of going over the work of previous mechanics and doing it
"right". Vacuum leaks top the list. They are the cause of many of the
symptoms that lead to getting the car "fixed". Another issue is that
most cars have multiple problems. When you fix the "big" one you
uncover many smaller ones. For example a car won't start. You finally
get it running but it won't idle right. Well you didn't know the idle
was a problem because it wasn't running! Now you have to dive into the
systems that control the idle. Now it is idling but it has no power.
You fix that and now it won't shift right because the clutch cylinders
are leaking. You get that fixed and the brakes leak. You can see that
this can be a large task. As for where to put it when it is finished,
that's easy. It goes on the DMCNEWS website under technical. Maybe the
way to do this would be to assign areas to different clubs and
technical advisors with some overlapping so everyone would be checking
on each other and you get the widest range of expertise. This is not a
one man project! To begin I would start with research into all the
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757