Re: [DML] Engine Swap-Out

There have been all sorts of conversions... a Ford 302 V8, Chevy 350 V8, Chevy 4.3 V6's (some supercharged), a Mazda triple Rotor twin turbo Wankel, Land Rover V8, Cadillac Northstar V8's, a Grand National Turbo V6, Acura NSXV6, Eagle Premier V6's, and Bill Robertson's Renault V6. I think some of the folks in Europe are toying with more modern more powerful PRV-6's. Oh, and we can't forget Rick's twin engine DeLorean. I'm sure there's many more I'm forgetting. The Chevy 350 chews through input shafts, and the rotary and land rover conversions both use varying forms of porsche transaxles to get around this. The biggest obstacle with an engine swap is the stock DeLo tranny can't handle more than 250-300hp. People once thought that you couldn't cram any larger of an engine back there, but obviously the V8 conversions have proved them wrong. It seems all of the engine conversions are riddled with problems though. The only one I haven't heard any negative side effects from are the chevy 4.3 v6 conversions, and Bob Brandy's Land Rover conversion. I think it's because these people paid what they had to to do it right.

So before you go ripping out your PRV, consider DMC-Houston's power mods. Their exhaust system alone gives about 20 hp, and their stage 3 enhancementsgive 70 hp. I don't think you could get 70 extra hp in a DeLo any cheaper than their $5k upgrade. Plus you're keeping your car pretty much original... and it wouldn't be hard to return it that way.

Louie Golden
VIN Coming Again Soon...

--- "anaheim_21" <anaheim_21@xxxx> wrote:
Hello All:

Has anyone on this list swapped out their original PRV engines with
one from a different manufacturer? I saw the cars at the Memphis
show and was wondering what engines could fit and what people's
opinions are on this subject.

I'm toying witht the idea of updating my engine.

Greg
6598

Pre-order the updated second edition of "DeLorean: Stainless Steel Illusion" now! Details <a href="http://www.stainless-steel-illusion.com"; target="_blank">here!</a>