Re: Vacuum Switch troubeshooting (was amazing vacuum discovery

Re: Vacuum Switch troubeshooting (was amazing vacuum discovery

Couple things - I just spent a short while troubleshooting the same
device. It's an electrically operated vacuum switch. Controlled by
the idle microswitch.

1 -this should have no effect on your CO setting.

2- there is a right way and a wrong way for the hoses to go on that
switch. Make sure that the distributor is connected to the outside
(back) connection, and the source to the center one. Backwards you
will get a vacuum leak at idle and the distributor vacuum will "hang"
when you drop back to idle. Emissions problem.

3- This thing is prone to vacuum leaks where the wires connect. Put
some RTV around the electrical connection.

4 - the vacuum switch is controlled by the idle microswitch. With the
ignition on, put your hand on the switch and pull the throttle on and
off idle. You should be able to feel it click.

5 - Hook up a vacuum gauge to the inlet side of the switch. Start the
car COLD. There should be no vacuum until the water gets to about
100degF -in my case this took about two minutes. If this does not
happen you have a bad temperature switch, unfortunately located UNDER
the intake manifold in the PRV Valley of Death.

6 -Now hook the switch back up to the vacuum source and hook your
gauge to the outlet(dist) side. You should see no vacuum at idle,
then pull the throttle slightly off-idle, you should get vacuum
immediately. If not, check the vacuum switch wiring and/or replace
it.

If you get this working right you'll notice a significant increase in
fuel economy.

Dave