My DeLorean loves me.

We all hear about eachother's problems with their cars or projects on the
list every day, but my DeLorean's mechanical failures are only done out of
it's love for me. First, she got me out of jury duty on a day I really did
not want to be there. This was a while ago actually. I had parked in a two
hour zone counting on not staying long so of course I was selected. We all
had a chance to move our cars if we needed and when I got out there she
simply would not start. I tried for several minutes before reporting back
to the director explaining that I could not move my car. She was hesitant
but said I could go find a way to get my car towed or fixed and she would
call someone else in for that day in my place. When I get back to my car I
try again and she started right up the first time. It later turned out to
be a bad connection on the inertia switch.

And now last week it further displayed it's love for me by getting me out of
another uncomfortable situation. One of my coworkers told me that it was
his girlfriend's birthday soon and she loves DeLoreans. He wanted me to
drive her around for the night so he wouldn't actually have to do anything
for her (his actual words, plus some swearing I've omitted). Unfortunately
I know this girl and I doubt anyone on this list could stand to be trapped
in such close proximity with her for more than a few minutes. I agreed to
do it, but the morning before I found myself wishing that something on the
car would fail so I wouldn't be able to drive her. Almost as if the
DeLorean heard my thoughts, on my drive to work that day the battery light
came on. I had it tested and the alternator is on it's way out. I told him
about the problem and he was disappointed but understood. I got out of
being her chauffer for the night and I've never been so pleased to have
something on my car break.

Ordinarily I'd be frustrated, but I'm pretty sure she has a good reason for
the lock solenoid failure and vacuum leak that just developed. Now if
you'll excuse me I'm going to go stare lovingly at my disabled baby sitting
in the driveway.

Brandon Payne

---