Re: Wiring harness

There is generally no reason to replace the wiring harnesses. I can
only think of 2 reasons it could become necessary. If the harness
caught fire and was really melted (even then with enough labor it
could be fixed) or if the car was flooded in salt water and it
corroded everything. Usually the problem is the connectors at the
ends. They get burnt, bent, fall off, and corrode. This is fixable.
Since you seem to have a lot of electrical problems don't try to
troubleshoot them one at a time. Unplug each connection, clean the
connectors and use a little dielectric grease. You can also try a
product Eastwood sells that has copper in it to improve electrical
connections. Start with the "big" connections and just do every plug
and connector in the car. It could very well be the case that your car
was flooded at some point in it's history for you to have this many
problems. Bad ground connections can cause the wierdest problems
because of the feedback of the voltage into other circuits so make
sure they are all cleaned up too. Long periods of inactivity causes
some of these problems, most switches have a wiping motion in them so
as you use the switches they are "cleaned" of oxidation. Look for
evidence of the car having been flooded. You may find it if you remove
the carpets. If you suspect it was flooded change ALL of the fluids
and grease everything to try to remove any remaining water. The first
thing I would do is clean the ground connection inside of the front
left wheel on the frame, this could be the source of several of your
problems.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757