[DML] Re: Tuning Idle Speed Circuit.

CO at less than 1% is too low in my experience; CO2 at 14.1 is too
low also. Try 2% CO. This will probably yield a CO2 reading around
15.0, HC should still be near 0, NO will still be low too. Run and
idle should sinc up and you can still pass an emmissions test with
flying colors.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Rustproof" <Rustproof@xxxx> wrote:
> John,
> The engine was set up at normal operating temperature with both
fans running
> and A/C off. I have set the CO using an exhaust gas analyzer. The
method of
> adjustment was to simply let the tool sit in the screw head
without any
> downward pressure turning 1/16 to 1/8 at a time. I can't seem to
set my idle
> at 950 with the O2 sensor plugged in. If I attempt this it swings
wildly as
> if it wants to stay near 750. I have been making the idle
adjustments using
> the curb-idle screw on the throttle linkage. I have noticed that
if I use
> the idle adjustment screw on the throttle body intake manifold,
(The slotted
> brass one of the three closest to the throttle plates) it has no
effect on
> the idle speed at all. As a matter of fact, none seem to have any
effect at
> all ...with or without the O2 sensor connected! The closest I can
get to a
> stable idle is a swing of 25-50 rpms in either direction. However,
even then
> the engine idles very rough. I have checked for all possible
vacuum leaks
> and there are none. The timing is 13 degrees BTDC on the money.
(at 750rpm)
> There is no vacuum present at the distributor vacuum advance. The
lambda
> system appears to be working as is the CIS. That is to say that
the air
> valve is actuating in both directions and the Lambda system reacts
to the O2
> sensor signal. The full throttle switch is functioning. ( when I
press it,
> the idle will settle right down.) The idle microswitch is
functional and
> adjusted properly...well as properly as I can get it with this
idle problem.
> At startup on a cold engine, the car turns right over but runs
very rough
> until it warms up a bit. It idles rough and boggs down if you
attempt to
> give it some throttle. Once warmed up, it becomes very responsive
and seems
> to drive O.K. Thereafter, it is easy to start and accelerate but
the idle
> remains poor.
>
> Thanks,
> Rustproof
> vin 1559

I set the
> > (CO Mixture Screw) air/fuel mixture using an exhaust gas
analyzer at
> 14.1:1
> > with CO emmission at less than 1%. Idle set was 750 and varied
about
> 50rpms
> > high and low.
> >
> > ( First I would adjust by ear and set the idle at 950. Makes
sure the
> lower
> > idle speed screw on the throttle body lever is resting on the
stricker
> plate
> > and then the upper screw is turned in about 30 thousands and
hitting the
> > microswitch to activate the idle speed motor 1st..)
> >

> > The frequency valve could be heard at idle at a relatively
> > constant and stable pitch. ( Good, it should be.)
> >
> > The engine appeared to run very smoothly.
> > However, upon shutting it off, it would not restart! I then
advanced the
> > mixture screw by 1/8th turn intervals clockwise until the engine
was able
> > start. The idle was erratic and fluctuated several hundred RPMs
hunting
> > wildly. The frequency valve buzzed on the lean upswings and was
silent on
> > the downswings. I then adjusted the CO screw (by ear) until the
engine ran
> > smooth again but I could see by the analyzer that it was running
on the
> rich
> > side to get it to settle down. I then set the idle again to 750.
This time
> > the idle remained on 750 exactly with no fluctuation at all but
the
> > frequency valve remained silent. I assume that this is due to
the very
> rich
> > mixture. The engine seems to run fine set like this but I
realize that I
> am
> > essentially nullifying the lambda system with the over-rich
mixture.
> > ( The Lambda ECU is electronicly set to enrich untill the 02
kicks in,
> That
> > why it's running rich.)
> >
> > The engine has been checked methodically and no vacuum leaks can
be found.
> > All
> > o-rings, tubing and fuel system parts including pump,
accumulator and hot
> > start kits are new. The engine has only 8,000 miles on it.
> >
> > ( When you adjusted the 02 about 1/8th turn, Do you know what
you did. Was
> > the engine hot,and did you push down on the tool or just let it
rest in
> the
> > screw head and turn.)
> >
> > I was hoping that someone on the list with a pefectly
operationg system
> > might answer the following questions:
> >
> > 1. At idle, should the frequency valve buzz constantly and
steadily?
> > ( If everything is properly adjusted my answer would be yes.)
> >

> > 2. With the O2 sensor unplugged, I am able to set up everything
exactly to
> > spec. and the engine runs smooth and perfect. As soon as I
reconnect it,
> it
> > hunts wildly again and I am forced to adjust the CO mix again to
get it to
> > settle down! Why is this happening?
> > ( Your doing a manuel adjustment and the 02 does it
electronicly.The 02