Re: Back Up Lights

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, steve trimble <stevetrimble52@xxxx>
wrote:
> Can anyone enlighten me on were the switch is located
> that activates the back up lights? I just purchased
> this 81 Delorean and have all kinds of electrical
> problems, no fuel reading, door lights that work when
> they want to, parking lights don't work, passenger
> side toll window doesn't work. Is this normal stuff
> for a car this age?

Hi Steve,

The electrical system is often the weakest link of all the components
in a car, or so I've been told by several mechanics, and I believe
it's true. Especially in a 20+ year old car like a Delorean.
Corroded/oxidized switches, connections and bad grounds can cause all
sorts of problems.

If your RH window does not work but the LH one does, then swap the
switches. If your pass. side now works and the driver's does not, then
you know that the switch is the problem. I had that problem and the
cause was a bent and corroded contact inside the switch. They are easy
to take apart and clean, but just be careful with those two tiny
springs inside because they're hard to find if you drop them on the
floor.

As for the reverse lights, look under the car and see if you can find
a connector on the side of the transmission. (Driver's side, I think).
You probably will have to jack up the car to see it. There should be
a wire connected to it Unplug it and clean the connection. If that
doesn't fix it then try removing the tail-light circuit boards and do
the "bolt-through-the-rivet-hole" trick. (e-mail me if you don't know
how, or ask the list) Another thing is the bulbs themselves.
Twenty-year old ones may look ok, but actually may have gone bad.

Unfortunately, the Delorean is notorious for electrical problems, but
there are updates available from the vendors to fix them. If your car
still has the original relays then get the relay kit from one of the
vendors. Replace all the blade fuses, because they too can go bad
even if they look ok.

That's all I can suggest for now. Hope this helps

Richard Rowe
Vin 5853