New owner from Georgia

Hello,

I purchased my DMC back in April. The car only has 16k on it, but in
the past ten years it has only been driven about 2k. Needless to say
it has needed a lot of maintenance to get it up to spec. I have
installed the PJ Grady tune up kit along with fuel pump and other
odds and ends. Though it runs great, the car still needs a lot more
maintenance. Getting the car to start is almost impossible. The
only way I can get it to fire off is by using starting fluid (I don't
like the idea of this at all). Once you get it started on the fluid
the car runs fine. You can drive it around all you want with no
trouble as long as you don't turn it off. Being a new owner I have
my own ideas about what is wrong, but I wanted to get a more
experienced option about what I should look into. My first thought
was the cold start valve. This would seem to explain why it is so
hard to start the first time. Second thought was the fuel
accumulator. This would explain why the car won't start after
driving around. My final thought was the control pressure regulator,
but I don't know much about what this actually does. I have already
registered for the SEDOC cruise-in, but I would hate to be the guy
trying to start his car with starter fluid as I get ready to leave,
or worst yet the DMC owner that drives a VW to the DMC cruise-in.
Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jai Johnston
2812