Re: R12 and R134 A/C Refrigerant Alternative

Re: R12 and R134 A/C Refrigerant Alternative

:)

Actually, when R-12, R-114 and R-134a are burned, they don't create
mustard gas, they create phoszgine gas which is colorless, odorless
but totally toxic.

On submarines, when we have a freon leak, we secure all heat
producing equipment and smoking (talk about whining) because of this.
Not to mention that freon itself is dangerous to breathe and it's
heavier than air so it displaces our atmosphere on the lower levels.

I spent 31 days in a freon-rich atmosphere because we were in a "bad
place" surrounded by "bad people" and couldn't vent it. Talk about a
headache. We had to eat cold cuts for a month because we couldn't
cook.

The point of this history lesson though, is to point out that it's
bad for us amatuer mechanics to heat freon of any flavor. Especially
in a confined space such as your car-hole. So....be careful!

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas@xxxx>
wrote:
> [...]
>

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Richard" <dmc_driver@xxxx> wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > Check out www.duracool.com. I was wondering if anyone has used
this
> > in the Delorean or any other car for that matter, and if so, how
well
> > does it work?
> >
> > Richard Rowe
> > vin 5853
>
> This is one of the biggest debates about MVAC systems, as I
discovered
> (I'll be doing a total A/C rebuild on my car in the future, so I've
> been reading up on alternatives).
>
> The first page says it all, "Hydrocarbon Refrigerant." In comparison
> to R-12, and R-134a, HC Refrigerants will cool just as efficiently,
> and are truly ozone friendly. Plus they're inexpensive, and are
pretty
> much non-corrosive from what I understand. On the plus side,
everyone
> whom I've ever heard from that has actually used an HC refrigerant
in
> thier car/truck has had nothing but praise for them. I've never
heard
> anything negative about them performance wise.
>
> However, HydroCarbons are of course quite flammable. After all, HC
> chains are what make up methane, petrol/gasoline, motor oil, diesel
> fuel, etc... Hence why auto manufacturers are not allowed to use HC
> Refrigerants in car air conditioners.
>

> Now, on to the educational part of the post.
>
> A study on the use of HC Refrigerants down in Austrailia, found that
> the only threat for flammability comes from improper handling of the
> gas when filling the MVAC system on a car. And that if a leak does
> occur, the gas disperses too quickly to ignite. This theory was
tested
> both with cars that have been in real life collisions, to tests of
> holding heting elements next to leaks of HC refrigerants in
controled
> experiments failed to ignite the gas. The test involved a number of
> cars that have racked up a combined total of over a million miles,
and
> never encountered a problem (I'll have to find the link on that one,
> but it does exist).
>
> But because the gas used is flamable, that's why automakers are
> prohibited from utilizing it in new cars. It is believed that there
is
> a significant risk of fire. Which is interesting, because while I
too
> have always heard of this risk, I've never actually seen a car
ignite
> from using HC Refrigerants. And me personally, I'm more frightened
> about when Hydrogen cars hit the road (SUV's are bad enough, I don't
> need some "Soccer Mom" piloting the Hindenburg in the lane next to
me).

> Flamability has always been a concern with refrigeration systems.
The