Re: Getting new tires--Special way to lift the DeLorean???

Re: Getting new tires--Special way to lift the DeLorean???

You are right to be worried about taking the D in for tires. There
are plenty of stories to scare you to death.

Personally I prefer Tire Rack and using one of their Preferred
Installers. In my experience I get a professional that is installing
the tires.

Ok, that said, use the 4 lift points used for the jack. You can't
miss them; they are the metal circle plates on each corner of the
fiberglass pontoon. Most lifts these days are side arm lifts which
work fine on a D. If in doubt though, or the lift plates are not
flat so as not to damage the fiberglass, have them use a floor jack
and do one wheel at a time. Don't lift the car higher than that
required to take off the tire because they may crack the windshield
from flex. If they are professionals they will spin balance the
tires using clip weights on the inside and stick-on weights on the
inside of the spokes rather than use clip weights on the outside of
the wheel and damaging the finish. I have yet to find a wheel weight
that has a good fit on the outside and will also go on without
taking some finish off the wheel. You might pay a couple of dollars
more for this procedure because it takes time but, it's worth it.

Most modern equipped shops have rubber padded grips to hold the
wheel during tire removal and a tire break arm on the machine that
never touches the wheel. A metal grip will leave marks on the inside
of the wheel and is no big deal (I assume OEM since you mention
NCT's) - no one is ever going to see them - but removing the tire
has to be done with the correct machine or you will chip the finish
off the face of the rim at the bead. There are so many "special"
wheels out there today I would be surprised to find someone trying
to use an old fashion machine, but be careful. If they don't have
the right equipment, go to a place that does. For example, if they
say they can change run flat tires or can do BMW sport wheels you
have the right place. Everyone uses impact wrenches, but they should
use a torque wrench for the final tighten - I use 75 ft lbs. (book
says 70, service bulletin says 60) I also use a slight coat of anti-
seize compound on the studs too so, I may be going a bit too tight,
but that's my preference.

Harold McElraft - 3354