Positive Story about the DeLorean

Hi everyone,

With all the stories about things breaking down on this list
I'd thought to share some positive experience with you all...

The past weekend I've been upto The UK and back from my
home in The Netherlands to have fun with the DOC-UK as
guests at the Renault Club UK at Gaydon, near Birmingham.

I made it out there and back home without any real troubles,
my clutch is definately starting to show signs of wear,
the blower motor bearings ar definately busted and a
couple of lights on my LED-panel decided to go on strike.
Other than that my trip wasn't really eventfull.

The most exiting time I had was getting off of the ferry
and seeing my fuel light coming on and staying on...
I thought there was a gas station just outside of Calais,
but instead there was a sign saying that the next services
were past Dunkerque.

It turned out to be 15 kilometers into Belgium, over 70km
from Calais. To preserve fuel I shut off all unneccesary
stuff like the A/C, blower and radio. At the end of the off
ramp when braking to queue up to the pumps the car stalled...

Got it running again and could finally fill it up again.
It took 50,96 liters of fuel! Meaning I had only 0,7 left!
After re fuelling it was smooth cruising home, with an
occasional traffic jam, but not to bad.
I arrived home at 02h15 CET (01h15 GMT).

Some stats for my trip (thanks to my nifty bike computer):
Total Distance traveled out and back: 1511,5 km (± 940 mi)
Total actual driving time: 15h48m (time from home: 42h15)
Average Speed driven: 95,55 kmh (± 59 mph)
Maximum speed attained: 182 kmh (± 113 mph)
My car now has 41288 miles on it, over 12000 more
than when I bought it allmost 3 years ago!

Best mileage I got, with the A/C on constantly, lights on
and stereo playing quite loud: 9 km to the liter (±21 mpg?)
Not bad I would say!

The lights on my LED-panel should be easily fixed,
I'll have to examine the blower motor a bit more before
I decide what to do with it and the clutch is only STARTING
to show wear, so I'm "saving" it now, so I can make a 120mi
trip in three weeks and then doe the work it needs...

All in all I think my DeLorean held out quite well and
I really enjoyed my stay in Brittain. For those of you
that think a DeLorean is not relieable;
I think I've just proven you wrong!

If it weren't for the clutch (probably 20 years old)
I would do it right again in a heartbeat!

JAN van de Wouw

Thinking Different... Using a Mac...
Shifting Expectations... Driving a Nissan...

DMC-12 "Dagger" since Sep. 2000
100NX "Saphire" since Nov. 2002