Re: Automatic transmission shifts fine but ignores the 2 and 1 positions

Re: Automatic transmission shifts fine but ignores the 2 and 1 positions

The computer governor could still be the problem, the manual control
valve may have come loose inside the transmission (rare, but
possible) or the multifunction switch locking bracket may have come
loose. The chart on G:04:03 of the Workshop Manual and other pages
in section 4 gives you a pretty good diagnosis. Based on your
comments however, I would say your shifter cable needs adjustment or
the multifunctional switch is loose. On the early cars, like mine,
the 1st gear hold is a hard adjustment to catch and also get all the
other positions correct too. This is because of a somewhat sloppy
shift tower that was later modified which then allowed for a better
adjustment. I adjusted mine so that I basically have to "hold" the
shifter back in 1st gear if I want it to stay there. All other
selector positions are right-on. This setup is fine with me because
I rarely want the 1st gear hold.

You have to be careful with the adjustment. The shift tower notches
and the selector shaft positions have to match. The tower can feel
ok and the cable will still be out of alignment.

Harold McElraft - 3354 (auto)