Re: Air Bleeder Hose spilling coolant

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "supermattthehero" <supermatty@xxxx>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My DeLorean has a hose connected to the plastic coolant bottle that
> is pointed down into the engine compartment heading toward the rear
> of the vehicle. By looking in the parts manual, I believe this to
> be the "air bleeder hose." This hose has been spilling drops of
> coolant lately that I notice when I come back from a drive and see
> that there is coolant spilled over the right exhaust tip and it
> traces back up to that hose. Is this supposed to work like this?
> Does this mean I need more coolant and less water in the system?
> Sorry if these questions are novice, I have had the car for a week
> today (its still a surprise to see it in the garage!).
>
> Matt

The hose that you are looking at is an overflow hose, in case the system
overheats. The Self Bleeding Hose Kit is an aftermarket item, that isn't listed in
the parts manual. And when manually bleeding the system, a hose is only
temporarily connected, and to the Thermostat housing on the Water Pump at
that.

Sounds like you've just got a bad Radiator Cap on the back. If I remember
correctly, the proper spec is 14PSI for the radiator cap. I used an aftermarket
cap that was rated @ 15PSI, and was told that it would be fine. I've not had
any problems since. But I would advice strongly against using the same one
unless you are absolutle positive that EVERY rubber hose in the entire
cooling system has first been replaced. And if by chance you do perhaps
overheat the motor by accident (with the DeLorean, or any other car you ever
drive), then replace the radiator cap as standard practice afterwards.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"