Re: [DML] ? angle drive demise

You may have a piece of trash in gears (housing is not weathertight).
Or a tooth may be damaged. Once off car, angle drive can be flushed by
spraying solvent between gear hubs and bushings, letting it run out
lubrication screw. Can also see most of teeth through lube screw.

Construction:

Angle drive housing is pot metal. Gears are steel. Gear hubs ride in
brass bushings. Are held in housing by pressed steel plate (opposite
spindle cable). Dave Swingle had success prying that plate out, but I
was afraid to try it -- pot metal ain't worth much even when it's new.
Unfortunately that's only way to release spindle cable from its gear.
I just soldered my repair to remaining stock cable (which I STILL
insist was wound wrong way...).

Angle drive held to knuckle by 1.25" nut. This nut also holds spindle
-- don't go driving around without it (you can remove angle drive.
Just be sure to put nut back). Angle drive attached to nut with a lock
ring in groove of spindle cable's brass bushing. Look closely inside
nut and you'll see it. Is not a snap ring -- remove with small
screwdrivers, not pliers.

Primary lubrication point is a screw in side of gear housing. I think
some people mess up by using too light weight oil in there. Gears are
exposed to same heat and friction as wheel bearings -- you're going to
need a proper grease. Moreover, because gear housing is not 100%
weathertight, light weight lubricant will just run out around gear
hubs. I packed grease around them as well as teeth. Hopefully seals
better.

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "robert parker" <roberthparker@xxxx>
wrote:

> Well..... after 21 years of faithful service, my angle drive is not
> co-operating. It began to work spasmodically (8-10 mi. then the needle
> bounces & dives to 0); so I pulled the cables, cleaned & lubed
them, added
> lube to the angle drive, & it sort of worked. I could turn the a-d
cable by
> hand, but would occ. notice a "catch" in the rotation. Spinning the
tire
> fwd - no (lower) speedo cable response. Spinning BKWD I can feel the
(lower)
> speedo cable turn in my fingers. Hmmm. So.... How does one get
around
> the interfering brake line to get to angle drive; what size wrench
removes
> it from the rotor; & what tips suggested for repair? I don't like
having
> parts inoperative. I can also be contacted at e-mail as
above.
> MUCH thanks in advance. Drive Stainless Robert # 6924
Sp Tag: