Re: Replacement MSD Coil

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Henry" <henry@xxxx> wrote:

> Yes, I've searched the archives. I've found many posts that
mention that people have replaced the Bosch unit with an MSD unit,but
nobody ever mentioned a model or part number. Rob Grady said that
the MSD 8202 should be a direct replacement for the Bosch Coil, but
I'd like to confirm the MSD part number before I go get one.
<SNIP>
> -Hank

MSD "Blaster 2" Coil is the one that you want. Ask for that, and
you'll be fine. The only variations of it are a plastic housing, or a
chromed one for appearance. It's a total 'drop-in' replacement, and
even comes with a brand new ballast resistor. And yes, you'll need to
install the resistor, but it's not that big of a chore. Cost me $50 @
my local speed shop.

MSD is pretty much the best choice. I noticed no improvement after
swapping out my old coil for a 20+ year old NOS one, and a brand-new
BOSCH coil for the application was around $80, and was still only
kicking out 18K volts max. And what ever you do, stay away from those
damned Acell coils! I put one in my car, and it ran horrible. On top
of that, if the battery was drained at all, the motor wouldn't kick
over. I've heard the same thing from others with differant makes and
models of cars too. Even experimented in my garage. Cranked, and
cranked the motor, nothing happened. Dropped in the old BOSCH coil,
fired right up.

So pretty much, MSD is your best choice for a replacement coil when
it comes to both performance, and your wallet.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"