Forgot all about that inertia switch (PO permanently grounded my pump
somewhere).

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Henry" <henry@xxxx> wrote:
>
> I still can't get the car started. Here's the info I have so far..
please help if you can:

> First, the ignition coil is "questionable". Out of the car/cold,
measuring the resistance between terminal 1 (-) and terminal 4 (the
secondary winding) I get 9.5 k ohms. I get the same 9.5 k ohms
resistance between terminal 4 and terminal 15 (+ primary coil
winding). John Harvey measured a known good coil and got the exact
same measurements. The "Delorean Technical Information Manual" from
Rob Grady says that the primary winding should be 0.95-1.4 OHMS, and
the secondary should be 5.5k-8k ohms. I don't know which is correct
or if my coil is good or bad.

#15 of the coil when the ignition switch is on the "run" position.
I'm getting 4.6V.

#1 of the coil when the ignition switch is on the "run" position. I'm
getting 2.5V.

> According to John Harvey, I should be getting 10-11 volts on the
Blue/Yellow wire at the compensating resistor during cranking. I'm
getting about 9.5 volts. On the other side, I'm getting about 7-8 volts.

> The battery has about 12.6 volts.
>
> When I pull the spark plug wire on the drivers side (cylinder #6)
and crank the engine, I get a small yellow/orange spark.

> I've tried jump starting the car with another during these tests,
and the Delorean still won't start. I get more than 13 volts when the
cars are jumped. It cranks very strong when jumped and cranks pretty
well when not jumped.

> I've checked the inertia switch and connector, and it looks fine.
>
> Interestingly, I'm NOT getting the frequency valve buzzing when the
car is in the "run" mode but not started. I AM getting a moderate
hum/buzz from the idle speed motor which I hadn't noticed before.