Re: Standard operating temprature and gauge reading

Re: Standard operating temprature and gauge reading

The thermostat specs for OEM are; start to open 185F - full open
212F.
The thermo fan switch OEM is; Fans on 207F - Fans off 196F.

John Hervey has this and other specs readily available on his web
pages. With pictures.

If the gauge is operating properly and the engine temp is being
maintained at what I call running-against-the-thermostat, the temp
needle would be on or nearly on the first white line from the bottom
line of the temp gauge. Approximately 185F. The gauge sender is not
in the highest temp location. The coolant has some engine head to go
before passing by the thermostat. The sender is located close to the
firewall, passenger side, in the head. It has a one wire connector,
a Green/blue wire. I have over the years experienced failure of
nearly all the temp parts, gauge, sender, thermostat, wire
connections and even the fan switch, although it is not connected to
the gauge, I get use to hearing the fans come on and go off at
particular points of the temp gauge. This is one way to determine if
the gauge is ok. Do the fans come on and go off at the same point on
the gauge they always have? If so, then I would say the thermostat
needs replaced.

A very handy tool to have is a temp gun. I have a Raytek, about $80
I think, that has allowed me to check the surface temps of just
about any component to give me an idea of what is going on. BTW, my
thermostat failure was for a stuck open problem. It seemed to open
all the way but not close completely which would cause a condition
similar to the one you describe.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder@xxxx>