Re: Clean the fuel tank?

9 months usually will not be enough for the gas to go bad if it was
sitting in a garage out of direct heat and weather. You can also
tell if the gas has turned bad by the smell - you indicated it
seemed ok - how did it smell? Since it is at half tank I would think
it is low risk to fill the rest of the tank with fresh gas and start
it. Max I would do based on your comments is just do a hand pump
drain (there are plastic pumps available for less than $20) then
fill it with fresh gas and get going.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jberam1" <jberam@xxxx> wrote:
> While I was away at school, my Delorean sat with about
> a half tank of gas. This was probably since around
> November/December, a little bit over nine months (I originally had
> arranged for someone to drive the car every two weeks but that
fell
> through after I'd already left for school and, unfortunately, I
> never had a chance to drain the tank or put a fuel stabilizer like
> Stabil in it).
>
> Today I removed the baffle in the luggage compartment and took the
> fuel sending unit out and the gas itself looks alright, it hadn't
> turned into tar or anything (although I guess that doesn't really
> mean much as there could be sludge at the bottom of the tank). I
> think I read somewhere on these boards that gas can sit around for
> at least six months without getting contaminated and screwing the
> fuel line. I was wondering if this was a conservative estimate; do
> you guys think that my car has been sitting long enough to justify
> doing the fuel tank drain/clean at all, or is it unnecessary?
>
> And if I do decide to go through with the draining/cleaning
process,
> (and I'm using the DMCNews thread at
> http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews/message/32116 for my
> reference) how exactly do I "go after it" with my Berryman's B12?
> understand the whole process fine up until the point where I have
> clean the tank through the 3" fuel sending unit hole. I can't
really
> fit my hand through it. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks.