RE: Angle Torque & head bolts

There is a very interesting article in this month's Popular Mechanics
about angle torqueing.

It is worth mentioning that the article states that it is a
completely different method than the regular kind of torqueing and
this method uses a different material bolt for the head bolts and
that part of what one is doing is stretching the bolt, and therefore
they shouldn't be reused because there is too great a risk with
snapping them.

I too have always reused my head bolts (10 engines that I've
rebuilt). I also reused the ones on the DeLorean engine when I
rebuilt it. This was the first time angle torqueing was required. It
made the tightening very scary! I would say the angle torque is a
heck of a lot higher than with the other method. I'd be curious to
know what the torque it translates to in foot pounds -- I needed an
assist bar to get it all the way to the proper angle.

My opinion is that if you are that far into the engine, you might as
well spend a little more money and time and replace the head bolts. I
will if I ever have to do it again.

For what it's worth,
Dan in Cocoa, FL (3932)