Re: Idle Speed ECU

First of all why are you asking this Question? What are your symptoms?

Here is a recent senario that I just fixed on someone elses car.

Symptoms were:

Car would start Ok when cold. Then run rough for acouple minutes and
clear up. Idle around 800-900 rpm. Once engine was hot it would idle
around 1200 rpm. If the car was shut off for a minute it would not
start without pressing on the gas pedal somewhat.

I doing the diagnosis. I had referenced a recent article in DCS
magazine written by David Teitlebaum. THANKS DAVE!! Stating that if
you unplug the Idle speed motor. while the engine is running it
should DIE. needless to say when I tried that NOTHING happened. That
puzzled me,But I went on checking other things out. Finally I decided
to start swapping Components from my own car. First was the Idle
ECU, Result was no Change. Next was the Idle speed Motor, Result BIG
change every thing worked properly Idle was 775rpm and engine started
normally just by turning the key as it should. I put the orig ISM
back on to verify my findings. As expected all the old symptoms
returned. AS a side note you could HEAR the motor buzzing as though
it were working. I took it back off then did some comparing with my
good unit. I found the rotor valve to be frozen. After I decided to
replace it I opened the unit up and found that the upper end of the
armiture shaft had severly rusted into the bearing. I worked with
until it was loose using WD-40. I got it freed up enough that it
would operate somewhat normally. I reinstalled it and everything
seemed to be working fine for a short time. But ultimately it would
start to become erradic as the lubrication evaporated with the engine
heat. The New unit is installed now and everything runs as
advertised. and Yes If you pull the plug off the ISM it will DIE!

We also found that with the ISM not functioning that the Idle speed
micro switch also operates the vacuum solinoid controlling vacuum to
the distributor advance and will cause the the Idle to drop from the
1200 rpm to about 800-900 rpm if it is depressed. making you think
the idle speed system is working. when it isn't.

So the Moral to the story is Don't assume you have a faulty IDLE ECU
just because you have a verying Idle Speeds

Hope this Helps somebody out.

Dennis 5180 GULLWNG