Re: [DML] #$@! amatuer mechanics and matuer

I have a similar story, My 1981 DMC-12 was in the shop from April 2002 to
March of this year. The car was having problems starting hot or cold, and the
fuel line to the fuel pump disintegrated. Now out of a lot of money and patience
with the automobile I love, I had no choice but to consider giving it up,
because I am a young owner (19 now) and very little mechanical experience I
thought it maybe the trans since the car could only drive normal in reverse. I found
a garage that said it was a simple job, and he said he had worked on
DeLoreans at a nearby then DeLorean dealership. It needed a tun up new hoses and some
other adjustments. he said the original mechanic was taking me for a ride, but
I never had a problem with the 1st mechanic, everytime there was a problem he
had it fixed, even helped me with the stuff over the phone on his own time,
but this aside I wanted my car just fixed. Well, two weeks went into almost a
year. One day I called and he said that the car is no longer running. He felt
it was the fuel distributor, ok, then will fix it. I ordered all the parts, and
got several ideas from the DML that was describing what most likely the
problems were. Anyway I said ok, he told me that the "Ford" engine in the DeLorean
was needing other attention (What?, Ford?). I gave the benefit of the doubt
thinking he ment to say the PRV. Well a few months past and he tried this and
that and nothing. Also I forgot to say earlier in the email I told him the
cooling fans are slowly dying. But I did tell the mechanic this. Well, I was
driving down the Ave and their was this dirt filled sun damaged DeLorean sitting
outside a different shop, well we are a small town, and seeing another DeLorean
is very rare, but seeing another with my license plate is a one in a million,
since its a regular non-vanity. Well, it turned out they "gave" my DeLorean to
another shop since they didn't have time. (thanks for telling me). I let it go
since these guys are a well respected group, but they don't like the foreign
autos, so why was my DeLorean their. Well, as they said to reinforce my fading
trust, that anyone with a half brain could fix a simple PRV. Well I finally
called them saying I want my car which was now in pieces and no where close to
running back. They charged me 1,091, which included parts (aside from the ones
I bought?) and wreaking...opps I mean fixing my DeLorean from a running to
non running state.
When I paid the bill I asked if the car came near starting, so three people
answered:
1. No not at all fuel distributor problem.
2. Yes, but only when hot.
3. No, only cranks
Well #1 was right, what happened after I paid the bill in cash (like the car
I saved and saved every penny for this) was that when they were trying to find
the cold start/ hot start (yes I know I was told that it didn't run hot, then
I was told it did...hmmm) the car was left unattended for about 15min, and it
overheated and since then has not been able to run, also the driver door
needed a new strut (odd it was bran new) but now the door needs help opening with
a new strut even in, and still droops once in a while)
Well after having it towed back to my house and having the bottom scrapped
and the drive way I called my 1st mechanic. To make a long story shorter (Lol)
the car was running in less then a day (I took a mechanic...by himself, to get
a car running that took a total of three or more to destroy), his bill was
about the same, because he had to go back and fix everything even the tune up, he
told me he shouldn't of had to charge me this much but he had to put the car
back together. Now my car which was fixed of bad idling from the 1st has
returned since the bad shop, also the fuel distributor is just about dead, and
tonight before the car really got bad it started to leak antifreeze all over, now
I never had this problem until it over heated the exact statement to was:
"Well, I was working on the car and you know how it is when you get a phone
call, I walked away from the car for about 15min or so and I came back, (change
in voice) The car shut itself off, and antifreeze, and white smoke was all
over," - I wonder why that is?

Now, I am scratching pennies together once again to get this car fixed!!!

Darryl
Vin#5898