Re: Overheating

Every hose on the car is equally important including the ones you
can't see on top of the engine. All of the hoses are under 15 psi and
operate at over 200 degrees. You should not expect them to last 20 +
years, this goes for the belts too. If you have a coolant leak
ANYWHERE you are going to have a problem. Even a seemingly small leak
will eventually allow air into the system causing the water pump to
stop circulating or reducing the capacity of the radiator. I urge
everyone on the DML to replace ALL of the coolant hoses and seals if
they are origional or if you just don't know. The PRV-6 is a rugged
little engine but it can't take overheating. For a bulletproof cooling
system I recommend the following
Replace ALL hoses and seals (including the heater hoses front AND rear)
Replace the idler bearings
Replace the "vee" belts
Switch to a metal header bottle
Replace the otterstadt switch and seal and convert to the higher vin
configuration if an early car
Upgrade the 2 circuit breakers by fuse block
Go with a Fanzilla
Use a 50/50 mix of soft water and premium anti-freeze that says safe
for aluminum and change it every 2 years
Pressurize the system for 15 min to 15 psi and bleed for air while
testing for leaks
Test the pressure cap
Install an overflow recovery bottle on the hose under the pressure cap.
Replace the origional radiater that has the plastic tanks on it with a
triple row brass radiator.
Make sure both fans run and are blowing from front to rear and the
fans are not loose on the motor shafts
Make sure there is no crud blocking the air flow through the radiator
Do not block or obstruct the tiny grills in front of the radiator
(like with a license plate)
If you do all of these things you will have a very reliable cooling
system on the Delorean. IMHO the two weakest areas of the car are the
cooling system and the electrical system. These improvements will take
out the majority of the problems. It will be expensive but so is
towing and doing the repairs anyway and the possability of doing
expensive damage to the motor.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "vin2105" <phil@xxxx> wrote:
> Just went through this bleeding procedure on Sunday.
>
> I had driven across town to get some stuff to spiff up the car for a
parade this coming
> week and as I got close to home I noticed the rear window was a
little foggy on the