Re: Overheating

Just went through this bleeding procedure on Sunday.

I had driven across town to get some stuff to spiff up the car for a parade this coming
week and as I got close to home I noticed the rear window was a little foggy on the
outside. As I turned on to my street I saw a cloud of steam rolling out the back.
Parked in the driveway and opened the engine compartment to find the heater hose
thats hidden under the distributor had a small split.

Spent the rest of the afternoon replacing the heater hoses and heater shut off valve.
Fortunatly, I had the hose kit from DMCH sitting in the garage and I was able to find a
heater shutoff valve that fit at NAPA. Not my first choice but it fits and works.

The heater hoses were the original ones and someone at the factory must have had a
wicked sense of humor. From the looks of things, they installed the hoses before the
body was mated to the frame. Where the hose connects to the pipe by the TAB, the
head on the clamp was installed facing up leaving no practical way to loosen it. Spent
a half hour with stubby .25 inch wrench loosening it a fration of a turn at a time.

I lost about a gallon and a half of coolant including what drained out when i took the
hoses off but after bleeding every thing is fine.

I'm glad it happened now rather than in the middle of the parade next week.

Phil