Re: Heli-coil How-to

Helicoils are the heat, especially in aluminum, especially around
cooling systems. Coil will weld itself to manifold etc, then fastener
will be steel on steel (like it should have been to begin with). Is
truly a one time fix.

Go slow and gentle tapping hole for helicoil. Aluminum is SOFT. You'll
be amazed how little effort is needed.

Most parts houses stock English sizes only. McMaster Carr sells every
coil made (with FedEx standard shipping): www.mcmaster.com. Their
*ENTIRE* 3,000 page paper catalog is online BTW. While you're there
check out the selection of pipe fittings INCLUDING BRITISH THREAD.
Fastener selection ain't bad either. Only thing they they can't get is
7mm stainless steel (see Fastenal for those).

Oh, you wanted "how-to":
1) Drill out broken fastener. Isn't end of the world if bit wanders a
LITTLE because helicoil about 1/16" bigger than fastener.
2) Tap hole for helicoil. English coils are next bolt size up (5/16"
helicoil uses 3/8" thread). Don't know if metrics are same.
3) Screw in helicoil. Is a special tool for this, but I just catch
internal tab with a skinny flat screwdriver. Don't forget to snap tab
off after coil seated (is scored already -- just hit it with
screwdriver). If hole is deeper than your insert simply bottom out one
then follow with another. Can cut coils for 100% fit.
4) Reattach whatever.

Bill Robertson