Re: [DML] Venting outside air over engine

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Andrei Cular" <acular@xxxx> wrote:
> Has anyone figured out what the air flow is doing around the rear
edge of
> the T-panel or around the louvers? I remember reading that lotus
added the
> louvers for aero reasons.
<SNIP>

Nope, the louvers were added in for astetic reasons, according to
several books. JZD was touring the Hethel plant where Lotus was
building the DMC-12 prototypes, and completing the engineering work.
While on the tour, JZD saw an Esprit with prototype louvers on the
back, and decided that the DMC-12 must have them (IMO, I agree).

This is a popular example used quite frequently to describe a common
difficulty with the engineering of the car: Constant Change. With the
introduction of rear louvers, Lotus then had to re-engineer the rear
of the car to accept them. Not bad sounding, except when you take
into consideration that the rear was already complete, and now needed
to accept hinges, a latch, side lips, and mounting points for the
struts, that could handle the stress.

As far as keeping the engine cooler? Who knows. Many people attest to
this, but I've no idea what they've based this upon. I can tell you
though that one day when I left work to go home, I noticed a cicada
crawling around on the edge of my engine cover, below the edge of the
rear louver. Taking the car up to around 80+mph, the little insect
was still crawing around. I looking up a couple of seconds later, the
bug was gone. So who knows if he jumped out, or got sucked out. The
only real way to know for certain if the louvers really are a benefit
to the car, is to film one driving fully warmed up with a Infrared
Camera, and the remove the louvers, to see if there is a difference.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"