Was Re: Question from an owner's wife- Now Storage

Was Re: Question from an owner's wife- Now Storage

I don't like fuel stabilizers. I have seen too many times where a car
was put into storage and 6 months turned into years. The safest thing
is to drain the gas. It eliminates the potential fire hazard and when
you are ready to start up you have clean fresh gas. If the worst was
to happen and you didn't use the car for a season or 2 then the fuel
won't go bad on you. Draining the fuel also gives you a chance to
inspect the parts in the fuel tank. Another point to make is although
the stabilizer may preserve the volitility of the fuel I worry what it
does to the rubber parts in the fuel tank long term. Gasoline also
absorbs moisture from the air. Over time the moisture will collect in
the tank and corrode anything metal it comes in contact with. I can
think of no good reason to leave the fuel in the tank during storage.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "B Benson" <delornut@xxxx> wrote:
> There are a number of opinions about long term storage and more
precisely
> what constitutes long term strorage. Without a doubt DeLoreans that
have sat
> for years suffer expensive fuel system problems but storing the car
for 6
> months or less shouldn't be a problem. There have been a variety of
opinions
> about how the cars should be stored and here's what I've
experianced. I've