RE: [DML] Parts for a sad ebay DMC-12

Claude,
Good point, and I agree with you on the "$20,000" rule, but I think
it bears mentioning that the rule only applies over a limited range of
purchase prices, and of course it depends on whether you want a
"needs-nothing" daily driver, or you want a concours-quality
restoration. Personally, I think that $17,500 is on the low side for
completing a typical $2500 DeLorean, but there are quite a few out there
selling for $18k or $19k that would need little if any additional
investment to get them up to the level of a looks great/runs great daily
driver. There are even a lot that sell for $14k to $15k that probably
don't need five or six thousand in parts to complete them, unless you
happened to buy one that turned out to be 1,000 miles away from needing
a complete engine and tranny rebuild.
But your point remains valid, that a low-dollar initial
investment just means that you're going to have to fork over that much
more to get the car up to any given level of appearance/reliability. I
would add that you're generally better off in the long run saving up the
money and buying a car that someone else has completed all or most of
the work on already. More than once, I've bought a car and paid less
for it than the total of the receipts for work that had previously been
completed on it. In those cases, it's almost like I got the car for
free, and the restoration at a discount!

Scott Gardner