Re: Poor sad Delorean on Ebay_2415873039

Re: Poor sad Delorean on Ebay_2415873039

Anyone bidding on this car might want to check out Project Vixen
(www.projectvixen.com/index.htm) and e-mail Dave Stragand to get an
approximation of what you will be going through in reviving this
DeLorean. Vixen had the benefit of including more parts than the car
on ebay, but most certainly in regards to DeLoreans, if you claim
ignorance now, you will boast genius later if you actually can
complete this car.

According to sources at DMCH, it takes a lot to make a DeLorean go to
scrap or parts, and it seems that this DeLorean was use for parts
long before its time had come (usually a frame that has turned to
dust, but there are newer, better replacements for frames too).

This is not a parts car (anymore). It has a valid (not salvaged
title), the underbody is intact, its frame has minor rust,
replacement crumple tubes are available, and all the panels can be
refinished (which is why Mr. DeLorean insisted on using bare
stainless steel instead of painted panels). I have not heard if the
torson bars are intact, and the pictures sent to me do not show them,
so keep your fingers crossed on that.

I have heard that whomever ends up with this car will end up "putting
more into it than what it is worth". If you are worried about resale
value, go buy a Toyota. A DeLorean is a purchase of passion. There
are newer, faster, better performing cars available today, but none
of them have that "special something" that the DeLorean has.

The revitalization of this DeLorean will run into many thousands of
dollars (see Project Vixen), and will appear to be a big pile of
parts to the untrained eye. If you have the money, time, ability,
space to work, and you are willing to sleep on the couch or put your
relationship at risk for having a DeLorean-Shaped "junk pile" in the
driveway or garage or backyard, then go for it. Asses your situation
and ask yourself if you really are capable of taking on a project
such as this.

In my case, I have neither the money, time, ability, or space to even
think about bidding on this car, and I have too many unfinished
projects taking up space in my driveway, garage, and backyard. I
would like to remain married and sleeping in the bed, but I wish
anyone who tackles this project success and please keep the DML
updated on your progress.

Thank you,
Ben Ferguson
Member of the Board of Directors - American Hydrogen Association
(www.clean-air.org)
Member - Arizona DeLorean Club (www.az-d.org)
captainhydrogen@xxxx

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "John Elgersma" <delorean@xxxx> wrote:
> For all of us that truly believe that not any Delorean should be a
> parts car and all are really up for restoration, you might just
> think again because when I say this car on Ebay, I really changed
my
> mind that all Deloreans are restoration projects. This is one of
> those cars that will challenge you from the ground up. Anyone with
> lots of cash to rebuild this car?? Not me!
> Found at:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
ViewItem&category=31830&item=2415873039