RE: Angle-torqueing

Rich,
If you read earlier in the workshop manual (in the torque value
area), you will see the proper head bolt torquing sequence is
pretorque to 15, bring it up to 45, break and retorque to 15 and then
angle tighten to 115 degrees.

You can try a few of you local autoparts stores or a real tool store
to find the angle torque wrench. I simply made one out of a disk of
paper and used a compass and protractor to mark off 115 degrees. I
attached it with tape to the socket and used my regular torque
wrench. Also, the Volvo 760 GLE (foir a 1984) shows another way to
do make your own, but it doesn't work if you retorque after the run
in period (after a half hour of running engine). Don't forget to
drain down the antifreeze if you do this, otherwise it is very messy!

Dan in Cocoa (3932)