Idle speed sensor

 Mark, a thermistor is not a simple contact closure. Thermistors are
resistors that change their resistance with temperature, either
increasing or decreasing in resistance with a change in temp. (They
come in two flavors called positive or negative coefficent.) The idle
thermistor in the Delorean is used to alter the idle speed setpoint
depending on coolant temp. On my car a custom circuit is used to
exploit this function so as to increase the idle 200 rpm when I have
the headlights or A/C on.

This sensor is not on or off like a switch. You can't look for a
contact closure, you need to measure it with an ohmmeter while you
change it's temperature. The spec escapes me at the moment but if it
changes resistance (somewhere below the 10K ohm range as I recall) as
you heat and cool it, then the odds are it's probably working. Use
only an ohmmeter, if you pull to much current through it (by using a
large 12 volt test light for example) you could damage it.