Re: Broken bolt

The "standard" technique is to very accuratly centerpunch the broken
off piece of bolt "dead center". Next is to drill into the bolt with a
size drill smaller than the root diameter of the bolt. Next you insert
a removal tool to unscrew the bolt. If that is unsuccessful then you
drill out the bolt to the next size and use a threaded insert to bring
the hole back to the origional thread size. Remember that all of the
fasteners are metric. The most important step is to drill in the
center and to drill straight. It is very easy to get off center and
drill into the softer aluminum instead of the steel of the bolt. The
other BIG problem is to break either the drill or the removal tool in
the bolt. Heat always helps so if you have a torch now is the time to
use it. This is usually beyond the skills of a novice mechanic so if
you don't have a lot of experience doing this you might want to try
and get some help. Use sharp, new drill bits and go slowly and
carefully. Spend the big bucks and get the best set of extracters you
can find. You should also get some taps and threaded inserts. Use
cutting fluid when drilling. Prayers also sometimes help but that is
best used BEFORE you break the bolts!!!!! After you break the bolts
you will find you won't be praying so much as swearing!!!!! One final
tip but it only occasionaly works, you could try tapping with a
centerpunch carefully trying to turn the bolt out. This may make it
much harder to get an accurate center for drilling if it won't come
out though.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757