Re: [DML] DeLorean model of Lee Seiler

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker@xxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>
> BTW, I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I've had my
> model for over two years. However, I have never
> opened the box, saving it for ??????. Now I wonder if
> I should see what is really inside.
>
> Dick Ryan
> VIN 16867

Now that is a question that I can answer.

Basicly, it's a cannibalized BTTF model kit (I know, because I once
built one). The bottom chassis section, the glass sections, wheels,
tires, and decals are all from a BTTF kit. Even the decal sheet has
the BTTF logo and panels on it, and the model also has the "hover
mode" suspension. It looks exactly as though someone opened up a BTTF
kit, and moved everything right on over. With the exception of the
body shell. That is the same exact one as you get with the original
kit. But, the holes in the body to fit the flux dispersal coils have
been filled, and the power cables that run along the fenders have
been filed off. The entire shell has then been recast in the same
resin as the other custom parts to reflect these mods. But, as this
is a modified BTTF kit, there is no engine in the engine compartment
to speak of.

I'm not trying to knock it though, and here's why. You truly can
customize the model to your own liking. Included are 3 unique bonnets
(lines w/gas flap, lines w/o flap, and flat w/neither). There is a
set of louvers included for the back, and it comes with a little
underbody section so you can have fully functioning doors that open.
And yes, little tiny functioning torsion bars are included. I have
not assembled my kit, nor do I really plan to. It's a nice little
peice of memorabilia to have in many respects of both general
DeLorean items, and the rare ones that people seek out. Other than
that, the kit looks like a pain to put together if you ever decided
to assemble it with the opening doors, and bonnet. You have to cut
allot of parts with great precsion from what I've seen. And I'm more
of a "file it 'till it fits" type of person :p That of course, and
the fact that while I recall that when the model was first built, it
was stated that extra parts would be available. Now with the current
situation others have had just getting the models, I'm not sure that
I could so easily get the smaller bits if I broke them. Plus some of
the pieces are shrink wrapped when shipped. The bonnets for example
were wrapped too tight, and the edges on one of them is chipped a bit.

I don't regret buying the model at all, as it is a nice collection
piece to have. Although due to the small bit of controversy
surrounding it, it's scarity, and the what little is realy known
about it, it's a nice little item that usually only "hard-core"
collectors would go after. The first (and only time I remember) the
model appeared on eBay, there were indeed quite a few willing buyers.
Soon after that, I believe that there was an annoucement made by Lee
that due to the high price that was reflected on eBay, the prices of
new models that were to be sold would increase accordingly. So the
model does indeed have quite a story to go along with it.

As far as the legal issues involved with everyone else goes, I'm
staying out of that one. I've had absolutely no dealings with Lee
Seiler. I purchased my model from someone who recieved theirs from
Lee directly. So on the subject of obtaining one from him, or
contacting him, I've nothing at all to offer. But I can say that if
you're looking for a model to customize, I'd advise using the Sunstar
as a begining point. However,if you're going to build a nice
respectable collection of unique memorabilia, and are looking for
items that are hard to find, I'd reccomend adding the Seiler model to
your list in case you ever run across it.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"