Re: [DML] Engine Swaps and tranny questions

Re: [DML] Engine Swaps and tranny questions

Ski,

The ZF4HP22HL is a 4 speed automatic transmission with overdrive.

THe original delorean transmission was a ZF3.

THe HP 22 is the hydraulic pressure clutch diameter. This is the largest size. Smaller ones are 18, and 20. The original delorean was a 20.

The HL means the valves in the trans are hydraulically controlled These were 84? to 88 vintage.

The E means the valves are electronically controlled. These were 89 to 90 vintage? They went to a five speed automatic after this which is too long for the D.

This transmission was used in the 911 and the Carraras. (mine came from a Carrara.)

This trans is rated over 300 HP and 300 ft lb torque according to the people I talked to at ZF.

BOB