Faster than a DeLorean

Yes, for some people speed IS the need. Technology is out there to
accomplish just that. But I'd contend, given cost and effort, this is
deal breaking issue for minority of DeLorean owners.

No one will argue that DeLorean performance from the factory matched
its appearance (I think JZD used PRV mostly because it was readily
available near point of production, wonderfulness of aluminum
notwithstanding). But 8,000 of the cars WERE saleable. Biggest gull
wing doors in the world wouldn't attract that many buyers it
accelerated like a clydesdale. 8+ seconds is "respectable". That means
people will neither fall over in awe, nor will they fall in laughter.

Poll would probably show majority of owners are "satisfied" with cars'
performance. Is not a deal breaker. Of course we'd all be tickled
silly if they were even faster. But are we willing to invest what that
requires? (and deviate from stock if a concern -- remember original
message wanted to "go a route closer to the cars heritage").

Comparison: I have a '79 Lincoln re-engined with '69 460 & trans. On
recent SC door trip (see message #31730), out-accelerated two little
silver cars (not by much, but their headlights did get smaller in the
rear view mirror). However the cost is 8-9 mpg, and a lot of money &
effort to get that plant into the car in the first place. Obviously I
think is worth it or I wouldn't have done it, but definitely puts me
in minority of Lincoln owners. And you'll notice I haven't done it since.

Word of caution: speed is a moving target. No matter what you've got
under the hood (in the trunk?), always will be SOMEBODY faster...

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount@xxxx>
wrote:
> I'd like to offer a similar though completely opposite opinion.
>
> I'd like to suggest that for some people, the stock Delorean performance
> can very well embarass you at the stoplight. My 300hp D is a
rocket, and
> i haven't run into anything on the road that can match it; but when
I get