Re: RPM Relay

The Idle Relay is not in case of an accident. It's purpose is to only
allow the fuel pump to run when the motor is running or starting. It
prevents the fuel pump from running if the engine is not running but
the key is left on. Brett had the origional old style in his car and
Rob said they do fail but the newer replacement is more reliable. I
used a paper clip straightened out to jumper the relay. Only do it for
testing purposes, do not leave the jumper in there. I believe he had
several problems as when we got the car back to the shop I examined
the pickup hose in the fuel tank and the fuel level was very low even
after adding gas and the hose was soft and kinked. The fuel baffle
was out of place too so on turns the pump would starve for fuel. These
hidden areas of the of the car are IMPORTANT. It is a case of "out of
sight, out of mind". If any of you haven't been in your fuel tank you
should have it examined and replace any deteriorated parts. His gas
gauge was reading 1/4 tank too so I think his origional sending unit
is less than accurate. We also had to deal with a weak battery that
probably should be replaced. Generally 1 problem dosn't get you, it is
a combination of little things that collectively catch you.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757