Re: [DML] Headgasket job

Hi Rich,

> 1. The workshop manual shows a special tool to hold up the timing
> sprocket. Do I have to have this tool or is there another safer way?

This tool is unneccessary, and you'd need two if doing both heads at once. Spend an extra couple of hours and take the time to change the timing chains too. That tool allows you to retain tension in the chain tensioners, but with the timing cover off you can get to them easily to ratchet them back out.

> 2. My exhaust manifolds are not in great shape and I don't want to
> damage them anymore. Can I just disconnect them from the muffler and
> the "U" pipe and leave them attached to the heads?

Errrm, yes, but you'd be wasting a golden opportunity to get those sorted too. Stud extraction isn't nearly so much hassle if the head's on the workbench :-)

> 3. I have been told that removing the manifolds is "easy" by some
> folks on list. #5335 has been in a very damp environment for years
> and the nuts and studs are fused together by rust. I don't even see
> how I can get at them all without removing the engine even if they
> weren't rusted. Is there something I don't know?

Quite a lot it would seem - but I was like that before getting my hands dirty and trying the job. All studs are accessible though you have to remove the starter motor to get to the right hand set. The hard part is removing the old studs from the heads, not getting the manifolds off. Just use a 6-point 11mm socket (don't be tempted by a 12 point otherwise you might find yourself having to smack a smaller socket on with a hammer after you've rounded the nut off - I did). Don't worry about the nuts coming off - if you shear the studs they will almost certainly shear with 1/2" sticking out and plenty to get an extractor on once the head's off.

> 4. In short, can this job be done with the engine in place or should
> I be removing it?

It can be done in place. Once the exhaust's off there's no real advantage apart from maybe getting an air-wrench on the crankshaft nut (if removing timing cover).

NB in the instructions for timing chain replacement, the workshop manual is copied from Renault or Volvo because Left and Right are transposed in the instructions. The diagrams will make it obvious however.

Martin
Recent head and exhaust gasket job on #2292