Re: Passing emissions without Lamda

The problem is not so much reliablity (nothing lasts forever) but the
expertise of the people that try to set-up and or fix things when they
aren't working right. The Lambda system is pretty foolproof. The
common things that go wrong are the O2 sensor (from age or
contamination) and the relay that powers the Lambda ECU. The first
thing most mechanics do is to turn the 3 brass screws which messes up
the idle system and doesn't do anything for the Lambda. Next if they
are "good" or lucky they find the mixture screw and turn that. When I
see a Delorean that isn't running good more often than not I have to
first correct all of the previous work before I can do anything. It
isn't that hard to work on a Delorean and make everything work
correctly but you have to know how it is all supposed to work before
you can get it to work the way it should. Unless you are into
experimenting and have a lot of time and money to spend my advice is
to try to keep the engine systems as stock as you can. This way anyone
skilled in Deloreans can help you. Once you start modifying things
only the person doing the changes can help you. Someday the car may
get sold and the next owner won't have a clue as to what you did or
how to keep it running.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757