Re: [DML] Critical Engine Failure

Richard, the head gaskets are not that hard to do! I say that with the experience of starting one job and ending up 5 weeks later (working weeekends only mind you) having replaced the right-hand head on a friend's car. You can see some pics at

www.delorean.co.uk/club_gallery.html (bottom right)

and

http://www.ourdelorean.co.uk/spring.php

As to whether the blocks' cracked: Where's the leak coming from?

Best Wishes

Martin

Richard Acuti wrote:

List,

Everyone here has been wonderful with advice and info. Don't fail me now...

I bought #5335 undrivable, and have been repairing things as I find them. I was idling it in my driveway 4 days ago when something seemed to "give", and it acted as though it had a vacuum leak. I shut it down and had to leave it for a few days. I ran it this evening, again it acted that way, but with a sickening twist...green coolant mixed with oil came spilling out on the ground once it warmed up.

It only has 22K on it, but it sat for years before I bought it. The oil level was correct, I'd just checked it. The oil pressure does climb pretty high when it was revved up. I've never "redlined" the engine though.

Cracked block, or blown head gasket? You be the judge... I'm leaning towards the gasket.

After all I've done, to get hit with this...I nearly puked I was so upset. Should I just toss the engine, or is it worth fixing? Would high oil pressure blow the head gasket? What would make the oil pressure too high? (No, I didn't put too much in)

Thanks guys

My wife's gonna kill me...